Permaculture Design Certificate (PDC)
Permaculture Design Certificate (PDC) Course
Dates: From 25th October to 6th November 2021
About the Course
The Kusamala Permaculture Design Certificate (PDC) training follows the original certification course developed by Bill Mollison and David Holmgren. The 72-hour training is founded on Bill Mollison’s book, “Permaculture: A Designers’ Manual” and meets the internationally recognized requirements for certification. Participants that attend all sessions of the class and complete the final design project will receive a Permaculture Design Certificate.
This course provides a comprehensive introduction to permaculture principles, applications, and design practices. The curriculum will address global environmental and social issues affecting communities throughout the world and across a variety of climate zones, however practical design implementation will be specific to the sub-tropical climate of Central Malawi. The goal of the course is to achieve a basic working understanding of ecological-based planning, site design, and management.
– Permaculture ethics and principles
– Theory and methods of design
– Understanding ecosystems
– Pattern and systems thinking
– Reading the land & understanding natural processes
– Large and small scale land restoration
– Water management
– Soil management
– Integrated animal systems
– Intensive vegetable & fruit production
– Food forests & plant guilds
– Permaculture zones
– Energy conservation technologies
– Appropriate technologies and renewable energies
– Integrated pest management
– Local and urban permaculture
– Permaculture and natural medicine
Who should take this course?
Anyone interested in having an inspirational and transformative experience. From gardeners and farmers to public officials, this course will give you the tools to find holistic solutions to your land use and resource issues. Learn how to spot patterns in nature and to work smarter, not harder. All are welcome and no previous permaculture training is necessary.
Suggested Pre-Course Reading & Watching
- The Essence of Permaculture eBook (a summary of permaculture concepts and principles taken from ‘Permaculture Principles and Pathways Beyond Sustainability’ by David Holmgren)
- Patterns, Essay on pattern observation
- Soil- Great film about Soil
- Food Forests and Perennial Agriculture– Geoff Lawton’s Greening the Desert, Parts I & II
- Alternative Economic Systems– “Branching Out for a Green Economy,” a short animated film, narrated by Sir David Attenborough, highlights the role forests can play in national development, a green economy, and climate change. It also reviews the current situation and some transformative solutions.
Course Location: Lilongwe
Course Tuition: $650
Tuition includes lunch as well as morning and afternoon tea and snacks, instruction, and a Permaculture Design Certificate.